Care After Root Canal Treatment
Care After the Initial Visit of Root Canal Treatment
- Please do not eat until the numbness wears out in a few hours if the anesthesia was given.
- The temporary filling will set in an hour. Please be careful not to disturb the setting of the temporary restoration.
- Expect soreness or discomfort around the tooth and gum for a few days. If you can, taking over-the-counter pain medication such as Ibuprofen 200mg (3 pills every 6 hours) or Tylenol 500mg (2 Extra Strength every 6-8 hours) can help to reduce the discomfort. Taking Ibuprofens and Tylenols ALTERNATELY every 4-6 hours can be an effective way to minimize difcomfort.
- Take the prescribed medications such as antibiotics by the clock to ensure their effectiveness.
- Please avoid using the root canal treated tooth for chewing heavy food since doing so may cause discomfort or fracture. You may be careful eating with the tooth that received treatment until your general dentist completes the final restoration.
- Please refrain from applying unnecessary pressure or touch to the treated tooth with the tongue, finger or any object. This may cause prolonged sensitivity on the treated tooth.
- You may brush the treated tooth normally but should not floss if the temporary filling was placed in the space between teeth.
- Please call our office if you continue to experience the discomfort more than a few days after the treatment.
- After office hours or during the weekend, you will be connected to a doctor-on-call who will help you.
Care After the Final Visit of Root Canal Treatment
- If your tooth feels comfortable a few days after the completion of root canal treatment, you may call your general dentist to arrange the appointment to have final restoration within the next 2-4 weeks.
- Having the tooth restored with crown or final filling will extend the success of the root canal treatment that you received by preventing bacterial leakage and fracture. Failure to place the final restoration is the leading cause of the tooth loss after root canal treatment.
- After the final restoration in place, you will need to take care of the tooth with thorough daily brushing and flossing and regular dental check up/cleaning.
- Root canal treatment saves root(s) by eliminating the inflammation or infection from the root canal space. It is natural to feel the presence of the tooth to tapping or touch after root canal treatment. Occasionally, the root canal treated tooth may feel slightly different from teeth that did not have root canal treatment.
- We provide a follow up visit to monitor the outcome of your root canal treatment in a year to check the healing. You will receive a post card as a reminder from us to call our office to make the appointment for this follow up visit. There will be no charge for this visit.